Monday, September 11, 2006

Ganpati Bappa Morya !!!


On Wednesday 6th September 2006, Mumbai bid adieu to it’s favorite God, Ganpati. As the ten day festival came to an end, the idols were taken to the various sea-fronts, mainly Dadar, Girgaum, Juhu and Marve for Visarjan.

This was the first I witnessed this festival in reality, before this I had always seen this on TV and films. Even though I visited only few Ganpati pandals but I was clearly able to see the enthusiasm amongst the Mumbaikars. This is one festival which most of the people celebrate here and that too with full josh.

I saw few Ganpati Visarjan processions too, they were awesome. People were playing with gulal, burning fireworks and dancing in front of the trucks, which were carrying the idols of Ganpati. Not only males but their female counterparts were also seen dancing in huge number. I saw some old ladies dancing with so much energy by which they must have not danced even in their son’s marriage. It was clearly visible that how much they’re enjoying and the degree of respect and love which they have towards Ganpati.

There is one special Ganpati of Mumbai, without whom we can’t finish discussion about the Ganpati festival in Mumbai. It is Navsala Pavnara Lalbaugcha Raja (Ganpati who fulfills vows / wishes). The Lalbaugcha Raja or Raja, as it is commonly known has a history of over 73 years. This is one pandal which received the award for Most Visited Pandal in Mumbai, according to the organizers more than 70 lakh devotees visited the pandal this year. The Visarjan procession of Raja takes more than 15 hours to reach its final destination, before moving through various parts of the city. Generally it is the last idol, to have Visarjan.

Ganpati Visarjan reminded me of all the festivals whether its Holi, Diwali and especially Dusherra. This time I really missed something good but I’ve decided that next year I’ll definitely try to visit more pandals and seek more blessings from Ganpati.

“Ganpati Bappa Morya,
Pudcha Varshi Laukar Ya”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good One Dost !!!!

Best one among all your Blogs.

Keep it Up !!!

Anonymous said...

When did u became a religious guy dude? i m surprised...
kiddin apart.. i liked d account of a first timer:)

Anonymous said...

there is much more to this festival

Anshul said...

nice one bhai....keep it up!!!!!!!!!!!

Who says “Marriages are made in Heaven” ???

Who says “ Marriages are made in Heaven ” ??? I don’t say so, atleast after what I’ve seen yesterday… Yesterday I went to a doctor’s cli...