Saturday, April 08, 2006

One Rupee !!!

Few days ago, while coming back from Linking Road, I was getting restless as my auto-rickshaw stopped on every other signal.

But soon I was engrossed in listening to the songs, played on the FM that I didn’t noticed that we were again waiting for a green light. I realized this when I saw a beggar standing at one side of my rick, with her baby. I tried to ignore her and turned my head towards the other side.

The story on the other side was more or less the same. A girl between 8 – 10 years of age came and stood on the other side of my auto. I ignored her too in the beginning but the dejected look on her face, made me re-consider my decision.

After thinking for a while, I took out my purse gave a one rupee coin to that girl and said, “Ab kissi aur ko mat bhejna. (Now don’t send anybody else.)” She smiled and ran away.

As my rick moved ahead, she again passed by my side and smiled looking towards me. This was the third time; I saw her happy and smiling, after receiving that one rupee from me. My rick moved further and by this time she must have been left far behind. But as soon as we got stuck in the jam again, I saw her standing on one of the sides of my rick. She again passed me a smile and waved to me as my rick moved forward. I don’t how but my hands automatically started waving back towards her. I turned back and kept on looking as I wanted to see that happy face again and again, as my rick moved ahead.

We’ll give tips to waiters, cab drivers or any one else but we’ll not give a single penny to the beggars because the fact have been inculcated into our minds that begging is a bad habit and we should not encourage it. We don’t blame people who take bribes or tips, for making our society corrupt and dysfunctional. We never think of the reason that why people are forced to beg. It is our society which is responsible for the evolvement of this evil practice.

Before this incident I never knew the amount of happiness, which
a single penny may give to someone. May be I cannot change this world or buy something expensive but certainly I bought happiness on the face of that girl, by just One Rupee !!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats a very touchy incident
and as we all know that there are many dimensions in which we can look on thoughts and explanations.
this thing has forced me to open myself for this dimension.

Anonymous said...

Anshul miyaan.... ye sab main kya sun raha hoon. Hmmmm sahi hai bidu... lage raho....Bring more smiles but make sure u dont return with empty pockets.

Anonymous said...

u r a gud samaritan.. keep it up, but dont forget that in the beggars, there r some genuine cases but many r frauds also.. maybe it was the innocence of the child that struck u.. our perspectives are based on our moods and so are our opinions. Maybe someday when u r angry at some1, u may not show the same getsure.. but anyway, i think it was very sweet on your part

Anonymous said...

Hi Anshul,
Bhaiya main to itne hi kahoonga,Ki tum woh insaan ho jo har cheez mein accaiya dhoond lete ho..I am sure,the incident that u have shared with us must have occured with many of us,but the the way you have taken that incident is awesome...I salute to you..

Lage raho!!!!!!!!

Maverick said...

very well written man... keep up the good work... u have a real talent.

Anonymous said...

Abey anshul sudhar jaa aur yeah sub likhna chod dey .....to pagal hai

Anonymous said...

sudharrr jaa....aur bore mat karrr

Who says “Marriages are made in Heaven” ???

Who says “ Marriages are made in Heaven ” ??? I don’t say so, atleast after what I’ve seen yesterday… Yesterday I went to a doctor’s cli...